Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop clearance TBM

A nice new 940 had parked up at El Monte yesterday. As I drove by I got a little surprised initially at how small the front wheel was. And right after that I noticed that the prop pretty much only clears the ground by about half the diameter of that small front wheel, which really doesn’t leave very much margin. This would not be a plane you could take to even the smoothest of grass or gravel airstrips, in my opinion.

I suspect he is not on EuroGA and is missing out on a lot of good info Like this thread.

His nose gear gas unit looks very low.

I’ve seen TBMs on grass many times but this one would obviously not be able to do it. Maybe @loco knows specifics.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The TBM is built for speed. The prop clearance is indeed very small. It’s difficult to judge from a picture but the above doesn’t look wrong.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 04 Sep 19:54
always learning
LO__, Austria

I recall one TBM was doing circuit & approach slower than the C172 then rolled in less distance in some smooth grass runway if it was me, I would go for the Bonanza sitting next to it on the picture: it has bigger wheel, more strut pressure and less weight

Anyone who can buy a 3mio aircraft, should be able to afford a Cub or vintage Bo to test the waters or the grounds…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Sep 19:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The main market for the TBM is the US, where there is an abundance of H24 IFR approach equipped airports with hard surface runways. It’s more a go fast and far while sipping half the fuel of a very light jet and less a land in the backyard of the ranch kind of strongpoint.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I think this is why the PC-12 has done so well. Or the Carbon Cub. Never underestimate men’s love affair with ruggedness and utility. Look at camper utility van sales, jeep and 4×4 sales – they looove all that stuff. TBM should make a ‘TBM Gladiator’, with balloon wheels, flared wheel wells and a roof rack:)

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 04 Sep 22:23

I regularly fly a PC12 from short grass in Europe and the last 6in of prop is often green afterwards. This is with a 20in clearance.

I haven’t seen a TBM at any of those same airfields.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

Which grass airfields do you fly to in the PC12?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

We have two PC12s based at EPKP.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

boscomantico wrote:

Which grass airfields do you fly to in the PC12?

Goodwood, Compton Abbas, Venice Lido are the regulars

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message