Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA40NG - Options (Need suggestions)

`
I am new to this forum and I just passed my PPL in U.K. I am ordering a DA40 for my hour buildings, IFR training and flying to different part of Europe (with an experience instructor of course). Majority of the flights will be VFR

I have been thinking about the options available and I am not sure if I have specs this correctly. As this is an entry level plane, I am also mindful not to over spec it as the intention is to use it for 2 to 3 years before considering upgrading.

Options that I am taking :
GFC700 Autopilot/Flight Director
DME
TAS (Traffic Advisory System)
ADS-B in/out

Question : If I am taking the TAS, does it make sense to take the ADS-B ? I believe the TAS is 605 instead of 605A. The ADS-B is an additional option based on GTX 345R

Options I am not taking :
Digital standby instruments
Synthetic Vision
Electrically operated rudder pedals
Built in tablet mounts

Option I am not sure :
ADF
Stormscope

I do not think I will be doing a lot of IFR flying and probably do not need the Stormscope. ADF, I am not sure if this is necessary.

Would appreciate any suggestions from fellow forum members.

United Kingdom

The GFC700 seems like overkill. Is there is an option for GFC500?

I don’t see much point in ADS-B in if you already have a proper TAS system. I don’t know the difference between a 605 and 605A, though.

I suppose the built in tablet mount is an inexpensive option? If so, take it, you’ll be glad that you did!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I suppose the built in tablet mount is an inexpensive option? If so, take it, you’ll be glad that you did!

Definitely get that one! Our club has a DA40 and while I don’t fly it, everyone complains about the lack of options to mount a tablet. A kneeboard is of limited use due to the center stick.

Definitely take the autopilot. Even if you don’t use it much the resale value would be hit hard, nobody wants a tourer without a good autopilot.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Is synthetic vision easy to be added later by a future owner? It’s usually a very expensive option. But synthetic vision, especially on the G1000, is really nice. It greatly enhances your situational awareness. Most useful for IFR flights or low visibility VFR flying.

Depending on regulations, I’d leave the ADF. I’ve never used that in operational flying. Only in training and/or renewals. Besides it’s being phased out.

Last Edited by 0fficer at 01 Sep 17:22
Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

Do you plan to keep the plane for a long time or only a few years?

always learning
LO__, Austria

krisflyer wrote:

I just passed my PPL in U.K. I am ordering a DA40 for my hour buildings, IFR training and flying to different part of Europe (with an experience instructor of course)

What is your actual need or goal in the long term? This reads like you are trying to travel as a passenger in a new plane that you will purchase for the purpose, gaining a bit of flying experience in the meantime, and along the way. Anything beyond that?

krisflyer wrote:

the intention is to use it for 2 to 3 years before considering upgrading.

On the face of it, this seems to be a very effective way to spend a lot of money in a relatively short period of time. Good however for the guy who will be buying the plane in 2023 or 2024. If you are in fact looking for an “entry level plane” to experience for a short period, I’m inclined to doubt anybody would recommend buying and then quickly selling a new DA-40.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Sep 19:49

“and flying to different part of Europe (with an experience instructor of course).”
So logged as Pu/t? Not hours building? Trolling us????

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Options that I am taking :
GFC700 Autopilot/Flight Director
DME
TAS (Traffic Advisory System)
ADS-B in/out
Question : If I am taking the TAS, does it make sense to take the ADS-B ? I believe the TAS is 605 instead of 605A. The ADS-B is an additional option based on GTX 345R
Options I am not taking :
Digital standby instruments
Synthetic Vision
Electrically operated rudder pedals
Built in tablet mounts
Option I am not sure :
ADF
Stormscope
I do not think I will be doing a lot of IFR flying and probably do not need the Stormscope. ADF, I am not sure if this is necessary.

Congrats on your PPL. The DA40 is a great first plane. Very safe as well.

Take TAS and ADS-B. ADS-B i/o will become more and more important. See USA.

Synthetic Vision: Apart from being „a seller“ in 3 years, it’s also useful for you (terrain awareness). I’d take it.

ADF: You mention you’ll get your IR training in this plane. I recommend to get the ADF then. Only with a DME/ADF can you fly ALL procedures you come across during training legally and it seems quite a few UK fields use approaches based on NDBs.

Stormscope: Depends. Are you getting the GSR56 (Garmin Connext) Datalink Weather? If yes, you might elect to skip the stormscope.

In any case, a stormscope can show „trouble ahead“ quite early and is independent of datalink services, so always nice to have.

While for you the DA40 might be entry level, for the buyer of your plane in 3 years it might be his/her „top of the line tourer final aircraft“ and options like synthetic vision, stormscope, TAS + ADSB etc… could set it apart from generic ex ATO examples and make or break a better deal for you.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 01 Sep 20:34
always learning
LO__, Austria

SV+TAS seems like a nice deal when combined but I can’t opine on the reliability of SV…

Stormscope yes, how you feel about convective IMC on fibreglass?
It glitches more often on every startup

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message