Banner
Welcome to our forums

F16 is FAA certified

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Certified as what?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

With a proper FAA type certificate, I’d guess. Military planes, at least over here, usually get military type certificates only, which don’t necessarily have much in common with the civilian ones.
But this company, Top Aces, probably knows what they’re doing. They operate a fleet of A4 Skyhawks and Alpha Jets on the Canadian register that are based at Wittmund. They serve as “aggressors” for dissimilar air combat training in Germany as well.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

What a 10T single engine? no way the FAA would have certified that in the pas but maybe things are different now? does that F16 has CAPS like SF50?

LeSving wrote:

Certified as what?

Certified = means you can run a flying business with it

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 May 08:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have not found the FAA TCDS so probably certified as “approved a civilian entity to operate a military-certified product” under Part XX.

Is XX =91? Can Aerial Works ops be operated under Part 91 or which CFR applies?

OTOH there are other military products which do have a civilian TCDS like the Airbus A400M , or, speaking of Lockheed fighter aircraft, the P-38

Antonio
LESB, Spain

CharlieRomeo wrote:

With a proper FAA type certificate, I’d guess

How is that supposed to happen? Lockheed Martin suddenly by magic produces 40 year old fully ICAO certified single engine civilian jet fighters?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Antonio wrote:

OTOH there are other military products which do have a civilian TCDS like the Airbus A400M

That is a civilian commercial product with EASA/FAA TC that end up being used/modified by the military?
I think my nearby ATO should buy an A400M and offer MET training

FAA still have them on scope

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1026967

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 May 08:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A similar company (ATAC) operates dozens of ex French Mirage F1s.
Another ex Spanish Mirage F1.

A French company is planning to buy ex French Mirage 2000s for this role too.

LFOU, France

LeSving wrote:

Certified as what?

Probably under a Special Airworthiness Certificate (e.g. Restricted category). The FAA aircraft database (for N854TA) doesn’t say though (the database will only show airworthiness certs for something under a standard airworthiness certificate that’s recent enough, e.g. vintage types have no data even when they have a standard airworthiness cert).

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

Probably under a Special Airworthiness Certificate (e.g. Restricted category)

Yes, so they aren’t really certified in the normal sense, but have a special CoA for a very specific use case.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message