Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USA seller’s market: are we reaching Peak Cherokee

I do fear this is quite a treacherous market with a lot of sub standard condition aircraft asking silly prices.

The market for ‘primo’ Beechcraft F33A has prices between $170k and $370k, but of the roughly one hundred that came to market in the last year, around half did not sell. There were two sold in the UK one for £65k (a good example of the type but still needed a £30k catch up annual) and a high time 5/10 paint condition for around £70k. The gap between the perceived market and actual price points is huge, mind the gap!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

The gap between the perceived market and actual price points is huge, mind the gap!

Exactly. The asking prices are there for all to see, but the actual prices that get paid are not and anyone reporting a price paid is as likely lying as telling the truth.

There may be quite a delta.

EGLM & EGTN

Somehow if I sold now after owning for 4 years, despite a prop strike that required mid-time overhaul and a massive bill for the first annual, I would still make a pretty big profit..probably even if I included all of my avgas receipts! I have an Aspen Pro and IFD440 being installed in the spring. I guess a 30 hour engine/prop M20J with modern-ish avionics would probably sell in a week in the current crazy market.

EIMH, Ireland

it depends a lot on the plane. My 68 cherokee with 1200h out of calendar engine was for sale at 45K- sold within week. got 40k out of 45 as the buyer was local and i kept 1/9 share. I think decent avionics (2xG5+ tt ap) really make a difference..

EETU, Estonia

RobertL18C wrote:

The gap between the perceived market and actual price points is huge, mind the gap!

The price is only a 2ndary indicator on how the market moves. What really has changed apart from the quantity of planes is the turnover.

pre-Covid, most planes would appear on the sites and stay there for 6 months to years. Right now, most planes which are in reasonable shape are gone within a few weeks or even days.

I don’t know what prices are paid in the end, but even if you assume a 20% markdown from asking to paid, that is still a massive increase in price to 2 years ago.

At that time, GA planes were hugely under valued, up to the point where selling was almost giving away. Right now, I can see the opposite.

Looking at the Mooney market, which I know best, looking at the estimates you can take out of Mooneyflyer’s appreciation tool, they actually have not changed much. However, asking prices for the said planes are now up to 40% above those estimates, while before they were 30-50% under. That is the European market I am talking about. So while this is not a scientific result, it is still quite interesting.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

ivark wrote:

got 40k out of 45 as the buyer was local and i kept 1/9 share. I think decent avionics (2xG5+ tt ap) really make a difference..

That sounds like a great deal, are you selling at (future_price)/9 or 5k ?

RobertL18C wrote:

Gap or not gap there is a clear trend it’s only for very motivated buyers

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Dec 14:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is daft. You sell your plane, make a profit, and then what are you going to do?

You don’t have a plane anymore.

When the prices crash back down, you will have the same hassle you had when you bought the plane, with most specimens being right dogs, with most having missing ADs, quite a few with forged logbooks to conceal long periods of non-usage, non-inspectable engine corrosion, long periods of downtime until the various gremlins get washed out, and no EuroGA flyins for a year or two due to that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Buy cheap and good when the market is slow and tilted in your favor, improve slowly within a modest budget, and hold for a long time. I’ve done it with virtually every vehicle I’ve ever bought. Buying and selling often has significant transaction costs, and any plane requires effort and money to bring up to speed.

IMHO now is not the time to buy, and it may not be the time to sell unless you have (1) already stumbled across a very good deal, snapped it up, and now have one too many planes or (2) don’t plan on buying another plane any time soon.

So a totally up to the minute snap shot of the market. I think this is spot on priced. Needs a three blade Hartzell add 13k includes fitting and balance. @Robert and I have been chatting on and off about Bonanza pricing. I think this one is reality.

I bought this beautiful S35 today! I’ve wanted a 35 since I was training for my private license in 1999 and first saw one sitting on the ramp (or maybe it was since I first flew one out of Meigs Field on the first Flight Simulator on our Atari 520ST, ha!).

86K got through her pre-buy with flying colors. Much thanks to Bob Stephens for his hard work helping me find a plane in such a tough market (and for the member here who recommended him to me). And the seller, Polo Garza, was great to do business with as well and has taken great care of her.

Now I get to fly her home from KRLD (Richland, WA) to KTHA (Tullahoma, TN, as most of you know). I’m as excited right now about the long cross country and flying out West as I am with buying the plane!

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So actually, you own a Bonanza and what else?

A Piper PA-18 Super Cub…..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message