Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USA seller’s market: are we reaching Peak Cherokee

For 21 years, until delivered to its new owner on 22/12/2020, I was part owner of a Jodel DR1050 built in the mid 70s from 2 crashed Jodels. She was the most balanced plane I’ve flown with an innocuous stall. I flew 1,000+ hours in her.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

A D112 at our club was almost totally wrecked when it got caught by a crosswind gust during the roll out after landing and turned over.
The old boys here rebuilt it using parts from other aircraft. After a frw more years of flying here, another club bought it and it still used for difference and PPL training now. The accident happened in 1993/4.

France

Jodels seem to be very repairable, probably due to the wooden construction. I’ve seen several which were very badly damaged and restored to “better than before” condition.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Our Jodel has the mainspar broken. Properly repaired.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

This is from the US AOPA magazine. They think the GA price ramp-up is due to a general boom in recreation

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A definition of inflation is “too much money chasing too few goods”; after relatively well off people not really spending any money for over a year due to lockdowns, no travel, restaurants shut etc., quite a few with pilot licences may have decided they have enough now to buy a plane. With the supply not increasing much (too few goods) and a lot of money washing around the market, you get price inflation as night follows day.

As for aircraft, many Austers are a bit like “Trigger’s Broom”:

Andreas IOM

This topic was quite useful (thank you) but depressing to read through. In the past months I started to play with the idea of purchasing a plane, but now I feel it might be the worst timing ever? Or not? Who knows… Anyway, I planned it somewhere next year, so no pressure.
I guess no-one knows if the prices will be soaring further or will be more reasonable.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

There are indications that prices will soon start coming back down.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just one mid/short body non-turbo Mooney currently on planecheck. A nice F or J would probably sell in a matter of days for an inflated price right now.

EIMH, Ireland

@Peter
How did you make that conclusion, Peter? What kind of signs are you referring to?

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary
Sign in to add your message