Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USA seller’s market: are we reaching Peak Cherokee

Clipperstorch wrote:

I don’t understand most of this thread’s discussions about strategically selling an airplane. I just doesn’t make sense to me unless you are a dealer but even then you don’t want to sit on an airplane waiting for the right moment to sell after half a decade.

using it not enough so renting does make more sense

I guess there is a fair amount of pilots who have been in that category for years but did not sell their plane anyways as the money one could get from a sale was so low.

With the bullish market today this starts to turn and the “latent sellers” become real ones.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

With the bullish market today this starts to turn and the “latent sellers” become real ones.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking of it myself. This would be the time to sell my Commander. I wouldn’t get everything I put into her back, but at least more than I could just a few years ago. She’s from 1967, so this is most likely the last opportunity an old airframe like this could get to find a place in a market.

But. Then what? Everything I’d want to buy would also have gone up exponentially, so you’re still left holding the bag. I most likely can never afford to get into ownership, should I get out of it now. It’s just too expensive. Only thing I can think of that would be a smart, long term move for someone more intelligent than me, would be to cash in on aircraft, place money somewhere until the market crashes and then go back in and buy for pennies on the dollar at next downturn. But, that could take 10 years. I might only have 10 years more of flying…

Also, Adam, look at how many gremlins you have fixed. If you change the plane, you will have to start all over again. I actually think most people who buy a used plane get a pretty crap despatch rate; one just doesn’t hear about them because, ahem, they rarely use it to go somewhere Even my brand new TB20 (in 2002) had a ~£100k warranty bill with avionics. When we do a fly-in, say we have 30 originally interested, we get perhaps 10 dropping out because the plane is dud. I would go crazy if I had a despatch rate like that. Currently my son flies the TB20 much more than I do and the one INOP item is a dud backlight on the #1 altimeter, which will be fixed as soon as I get a chance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also, Adam, look at how many gremlins you have fixed. If you change the plane, you will have to start all over again. I actually think most people who buy a used plane get a pretty crap despatch rate; one just doesn’t hear about them because, ahem, they rarely use it to go somewhere Even my brand new TB20 (in 2002) had a ~£100k warranty bill with avionics. When we do a fly-in, say we have 30 originally interested, we get perhaps 10 dropping out because the plane is dud. I would go crazy if I had a despatch rate like that. Currently my son flies the TB20 much more than I do and the one INOP item is a dud backlight on the #1 altimeter, which will be fixed as soon as I get a chance.

True about the gremlins!

Didn’t know your son flew! That’s great! I’ve set a house rule that my boy needs to have a PPL before a DL!

OK. They always say when you call the top of any market, either predict a price, or or the date, but not both together!

I peaked too soon on 12th October 2021

Archer-181 wrote:

Archer-18112-Oct-21 17:58155
OK. I am calling the top of the market. It’s bonkers, no real supply and the few aircraft for sale are being shaken out by brokers at huge prices.

Oh and whilst I’m at it, the stock market and property market will go down the pan too!

But is really is the top of the Cherokee market today – Monday 24th January 2022 – There seems to be more supply coming on and some of this Asset price super bubble that’s been pumped up by the Governments handing out “free” taxpayers money and QE is imploding. There might be a dead cat bounce but the only way is down! Mark my words

United Kingdom

Archer-181 wrote:

There might be a dead cat bounce but the only way is down! Mark my words

Absolutely. It already starts to show in the less ‘middle of the road (or airway )’ models. So far asking prices are holding up, but the planes don’t sell.

How do you know that they don’t sell?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

How do you know that they don’t sell?

Because I’m in the market.

You are selling a plane?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Nope, buying, together with one or perhaps two friends. Right now plans on hold as it appears that @Archer-181 is correct.

Sign in to add your message