Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USA seller’s market: are we reaching Peak Cherokee

Congratulations on the S35. I saw the thread on bitchtalk and thought „that guy is getting a nice one there“.

Why does it „need“ a three blade prop?

So what happened with the N35 in the end?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Flightaware indicates that Bonanza 86K made it from Washington to Tennessee over the past few days, with perhaps a little adventure along the way… several once around the patch hops in Oklahoma. Also with some 225 kt ground speeds shown yesterday!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Dec 19:32

For clarity I did not buy it!!!!! It was on a thread on another forum. I used it to benchmark pricing.
boscomantico wrote:

Why does it „need“ a three blade prop?

I swapped my two blade for the three blade Hartzell and I perceived better and smoother performance. I have the IO-470N.

boscomantico wrote:

So what happened with the N35 in the end?

Back in my loving caring hands and I quite liked that feeling…

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

RobertL18C wrote:

The market for ‘primo’ Beechcraft F33A has prices between $170k and $370k

I’d be quite happy if we got somewhere in the middle for ours
The previous owner spent $10k with Beech Buyers to source it.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I don’t understand most of this thread’s discussions about strategically selling an airplane. I just doesn’t make sense to me unless you are a dealer but even then you don’t want to sit on an airplane waiting for the right moment to sell after half a decade.

I can only see myself selling one after I bought one in the first place – due to:

• not able to fly anymore (medical, death)
  • totally giving flying up because of interest is shifting away from flying
  • using it not enough so renting does make more sense
  • absolutely needing the money (divorce and similar catastrophes)

And the last one is probably the less likely point on the list. I would never think of selling something I still intend to use.

EDQH, Germany

Lots of divorcing guys sell their plane immediately, because you get a better settlement, especially if child access is a part of it, if you make yourself look like you are in the gutter. Any good lawyer will advise you accordingly.

Otherwise, yes, I agree, if you have a plane which does the job, it’s daft to sell it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

Buying and selling often has significant transaction costs, and any plane requires effort and money to bring up to speed.

This is true for many things, I agree. And very hard to forecast. Taxes, fees, repairs, items to buy, etc… They just burn money.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

robirdus wrote:

They just burn money.

And time. Nothing worse than a totally fine airplane which is sitting on the ground because of unfinished paperwork. No amount of money can change this (legally ).

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

I don’t understand most of this thread’s discussions about strategically selling an airplane. I just doesn’t make sense to me unless you are a dealer but even then you don’t want to sit on an airplane waiting for the right moment to sell after half a decade.

Several aspects.

Lots of owners are touch and go on wheather to keep or sell. Quite a few who buy an airplane find after a few years of ownership that there is a considerable cash drain involved, that they don’t use it as much as they would like because of demands on their time beyond their control, family constraints prevent flying, e.t.c.

When airplanes were very lowly priced, lots of people got into ownership because they could at the time. Many of them did not have sufficient money “really” to buy, others even worse took credits. Particularly the latter found that if they sell, they will make less than credit is worth, so they basically were stuck with their plane. And the last bunch upgraded the plane beyond any reasonable financial sense and could not bring themselves to sell with such a huge loss.

Now with the higher prices on the used market, that is different.
- Those who did not sell beause a sale would not cover the credit sitting on the plane, may no be in a situation where they can actually pay the credit back.
- Those who upgraded beyond the value of the airframe, now get a much better return of investment, or at the very least can reduce the loss to something they can agree to.
- Others who have pondered sale due to the fact that they find they can’t fly as much as they wish if at all, may well take the higher return they can get now as a motivation to sell out.

Me, I don’t have a credit. I invested beyond reason however and I don’t have time to fly. Up to the increase of prices I did not consider selling because I would have done so at a loss of at least 50% of my investment. Right now, if I were to offer it for the estimates I have corrected for stuff which the estimate does not know, I could cut my losses to about 10-15%. I have to admit that this is very tempting indeed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

I saw the thread on bitchtalk and thought

I assume that is not a typo. Yes it has become a bit of a lion pit over the years. It now resembles the good old days of Pprune….Sometimes none but the brave.

Play the ball Maxred, not the player….One of my more memorable comments from a Prune mod.

Anyway, nice post @Mooney Driver which summarises nicely the recent dilemmas of aircraft ownership.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message