Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

After years of contemplating...

UdoR wrote:

Ah, did you check the lamp’s STC? Form 1? Who signs off the release to service for the major change of aircraft lighting?

There is no certification requirement for landing lights.

I wanted to get an AeroLite but the shop put a Wheelen in nevertheless :(

More here:

In particular, upgrading landing lights does not require any TSO, PMA or STC. There are no certification requirements for landing lights for EASA registered light piston planes.
As most european owners do not know this (and many maintenance shops either don’t know or don’t tell them, because it’s easy business) they routinely spend 700+ USD on some certified light.
Naturally, knowing what I know, I will buy an Aero-Lite G2 landing light, install it and get it released using CS-STAN and a simple EASA FORM 123, easy, legal and a few hundred USD saved, and judging by your comparison pictures, a much better light on top!
Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Jun 18:26
always learning
LO__, Austria

johnh wrote:

There may or may not be a usable TR182 in it when the box is opened

Hey John! It will be great! Let us know how it goes. A friend of mine has a beautiful N-reg TR182 nearby.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

QuoteLooks like you’ll be fight for control in a few years! Two very budding pilots coming along there!

Thanks ;)
It’s three of them, hence my interest in a TB10 ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

RobertL18C wrote:

@Snoopy a very noble Cherokee good to see your kids practicing multi crew :) pilot monitoring is keeping a sharp eye wondering if pilot flying is nodding off.

Haha ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Isn’t that fantastic! I am so happy for you and your family! As to the heavy nose…I never experienced that when I used to fly PA28’s with me and an instructor up front (fwd CG) .

Thanks a lot!

When „full“ the CG is at the forward edge and once you touch you run out of elevator control, now that I know it, it’s ok, just pull pull pull when touching down.

Video here

aart wrote:

How nice to see that smile on your face. Congrats and may you enjoy her for years to come!

Thanks aart!

Ja johnh wrote:

(Actually right now I am the owner of a sort of Heisen-plane. It’s in a container somewhere on the ocean. There may or may not be a usable TR182 in it when the box is opened).

I’m sure it will be fine! ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

johnh wrote:

Actually right now I am the owner of a sort of Heisen-plane. It’s in a container somewhere on the ocean. There may or may not be a usable TR182 in it when the box is opened

If they unpack a TBM or PC12 it’s yours ;)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Looks like a nice aircraft, I hope you have lots of great flights!

I don’t recall the nose in my 1969 pa28-140 (with 160hp) being heavy; I think this is the same aircraft you have. It had a stabilator and I recall always flying it in trim during the approach. I typically would hold the nose wheel off the runway when taking off and during landing rollout with no issues.

Perhaps when landing with the slowest approach speed you could keep the nose high for a touch too long and run out of authority and the nose wheel would ‘bang’ down a bit less smoothly than you liked, but I don’t recall the yoke force being high.

Now that I type this, I do have a vague memory of another pa28, where I felt the nosewheel was planted to the runway during take-off (e.g. more yoke force was required than I expected). As this was not my aircraft, I attributed it to the ‘neutral’ trim mark being in a different position (more nose down). However this would only relate to take-off, rather than landing or approach, where the aircraft should already be trimmed by feel.

Hmmm. Perhaps worth comparing your aircraft to another which is similar? Also worth checking that the trimmed approach speed really is the speed you want; perhaps it might be a bit fast and hence a bigger transition through the flare?

Last Edited by Canuck at 18 Jun 05:58
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

When „full“ the CG is at the forward edge and once you touch you run out of elevator control, now that I know it, it’s ok, just pull pull pull when touching down.

I remember when flying one of these that they needed quite a bit of nose up trim on final.

The Mooney is like this too but with 2 up it is totally at the forward limit. Needs a lot of ANU trim to get a good flare.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Hershey Bar wing PA28s are prone to exceed forward GC limits. Put two 100 kg persons in the front seat of a PA28-140 or a PA28-180 and you’ll exceed the limit while being well below MTOM. With a tapered wing PA28 this is no problem.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again – this might be it; I have just revisited the W&B chart as it has been a few years since I last flew a PA28. My typical front seat load with two up would have been 135kg… with full fuel and luggage in the back, so probably never that near the front CG limit.

Last Edited by Canuck at 18 Jun 08:51
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message