Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

After years of contemplating...

Peter wrote:

You will never regret it

I really do hope so! There are a lot of bottomless pits in aviation, you just have to circumnavigate them!

Germany

Thank you all ;)

Yesterday evening, checking out the new LED landing light.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Congrats, @Snoopy !!

Isn’t that fantastic! I am so happy for you and your family!

As to the heavy nose…I never experienced that when I used to fly PA28’s with me and an instructor up front (fwd CG) . However I systematically experience that on the 210 with fwd CG. Technique varies and I would be happy to get @PilotDar comments on this, perhaps it is also applicable to your Cherokee:

i) You could fly “short-field” POH approach speed full flaps which for the 210 is approx 1.25 stall speed, then there is little speed and moment change in the flare since you will quickly run out of energy and immediately touch down. If you judge incorrectly and flare early a small burst of power will save a nose touchdown…and carry you 100m further down the runway. Little “stick”-force required

ii) You could fly “normal” approach speed full flaps which for the 210 is approx 1.4 stall speed, then there is significant speed and moment change in the flare and you will need two hands for the flare to control it smoothly. I usually use electric trim in the flare to ease it, so I can “use the third hand” on the throttle (the one you use during injected hot starts) . I sometimes trim for 1.25Vs but fly finals at 1.35 with a slight push, then “stick”-force during the flare is very manageable. The downside is you have to stay on top of your game during the whole approach for it to be stable.

iii) You could fly a partial flaps approach and then the moment change in the flare is also smaller and the “stick”-force required more manageable.

I guess that is what happens when you fly “trucks” instead of Bonanzas, but again on the the PA-28-150, -160 and -200 I never found such behaviour.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

How nice to see that smile on your face. Congrats and may you enjoy her for years to come!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Snoopy wrote:

new LED landing light

But who puts fancy LED lights into an honorable old Piper aircraft?

That’s not stylish!

Just kidding.

Ah, did you check the lamp’s STC? Form 1? Who signs off the release to service for the major change of aircraft lighting?

Germany

Capitaine wrote:

Quick question: how do you install this? Do you have to drill a hole in the side of the throttle quadrant? Or can you remove one of the existing screws?

No drilling, it goes onto the existing screws. Takes 2 minutes and works well.

always learning
LO__, Austria

So nice to see your family enjoying the bird.
Wish you lots of luck, flyable conditions and no mech bad surprise

Still in the contemplating phase here

LFOU, France

UdoR wrote:

Who signs off the release to service for the major change of aircraft lighting?

Standard Change.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

First, congratulations! I’d like to say “you’ll never regret it” but I’ll limit myself to “you’ll regret it a lot less often than you don’t”.

As for “nose heavy” – I confess I’ve never understood what that means. The 182 is notoriously nose heavy, but all that really means is you need to keep it in trim. There are planes you could fly without ever touching the trim (the Pitts for example) and barely notice. The 182 is most definitely not one of those. Not having Popeye-style arm muscles, I constantly retrim.

(Actually right now I am the owner of a sort of Heisen-plane. It’s in a container somewhere on the ocean. There may or may not be a usable TR182 in it when the box is opened).

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message