Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

After years of contemplating...

Exciting times Patrick. Congratulations.
Looking forward to blagging a ride in it one day.
You can’t see much of the paint once you’re inside anyways….;-)

United Kingdom

Well done! I also started my plane ownership with a partnership and it worked great for quite a few years until interests diverged. It was very useful to have agreed partnership guidelines in writing for subsequent ref.

Does your autopilot work with DG heading selector? Very useful if you want to start doing dome IFR trips with several hours duration.

There are two main types of hardware levels in pre-WAAS GNS530’s. The main differences are the latter type has terrain display and database holds as well as procedure turn guidance with GPSS. Is that your version?

If so, a GPSS upgrade is one of the first things I would recommend. There are several ways of doing this (Aspen does it , but also G5) and it really enhances your instrument capability. There are fewer more comforting IFR situations than your airplane holding in the soup at 4000ft while you evaluate your options without having to handfly…Even without altitude hold it is still very task-unloading (especially at your forward CG example where pitch trim does not change much in turns) .

However you are right, before investing further first figure out how much you like it! You are so much ahead of the curve through all your forum participation!

Send pictures!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Snoopy real pilots fly aircraft with overhead trim wheels :)

I am about to leave the Piper fold but in several decades of Piper products they are truly honest aircraft with predictable maintenance.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

loco wrote:

This is great! I’m sure you made a good choice. Soon we can meet at a fly in :-)

Thanks a lot loco, hoping for it!

eddsPeter wrote:

Congratulations @Snoopy! Great to read, that you have found your baby. I hope to meet you somewhen within on one of the mentioned grassfields

Thanks, I’ll reach out for some germanic grass field secrets to you ;)

Ibra wrote:

Congrats Snoopy, some great flying is waiting for you !

PS: if you like that color, my aunt handed me 30 shirts of my uncle from 1960 to wear but did not find a mount that match them

Thanks a lot Ibra!
The height of this color was around 1972 I guess ;)

Capitaine wrote:

Excellent news! I really enjoyed your Portorož write up so looking forward to more

Motivated to write some more ;) thanks

always learning
LO__, Austria

GA_Pete wrote:

Exciting times Patrick. Congratulations.
Looking forward to blagging a ride in it one day.
You can’t see much of the paint once you’re inside anyways….;-)

Thanks Pete, it would be a pleasure.

Antonio wrote:

Does your autopilot work with DG heading selector? Very useful if you want to start doing dome IFR trips with several hours duration.

Thanks Antonio!
RobertL18C wrote:

real pilots fly aircraft with overhead trim wheels :)

Yes it does.

Antonio wrote:

The main differences are the latter type has terrain display and database holds as well as procedure turn guidance with GPSS. Is that your version?

How do I tell? Maintenance just updated to the latest software version.

Antonio wrote:

If so, a GPSS upgrade is one of the first things I would recommend.

A G5 would do the trick?

RobertL18C wrote:

real pilots fly aircraft with overhead trim wheels :)

What? I thought that crank is for the sunroof ;)
I guess an autotrimming AP needs to go in ASAP ;)
Seriously, I am already memorizing “screw in to to go up (right)” and “screw out to go down”.

always learning
LO__, Austria

On the overhead trim what worked for me was to keep the handle facing left, so forwards (clockwise) is trim down, and backwards (anti-clockwise) is trim up

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Focus on the aftSnoopy wrote:

I am already memorizing “screw in to to go up (right)” and “screw out to go down”.

Focus on the aft segment of the circle as per the placard and remember ‘Up, up and away’…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Mar 20:34

Thanks, will do!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

The main differences are the latter type has terrain display and database holds as well as procedure turn guidance with GPSS. Is that your version?
How do I tell? Maintenance just updated to the latest software version.

Do you have a terrain awareness display on one of your nav pages and a terrain datacard on your RH slot?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Do you have a terrain awareness display on one of your nav pages and a terrain datacard on your RH slot?

Yes, it has terrain display and a card in the RH slot.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message