Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spitfire for £4000, and other old ex mil aircraft

This was just posted on Linkedin – dates from 1965 – what a bargain it would have been

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

In 1964 I paid £137.5 total for an intensive PPL, including full board on the airfield. So 28 PPLs. In terms of house prices it might not have been the best investment for £4000 in 1965.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

4k in 1965 would have been a great investment. A rebuilt Spitfire goes for something like 2M now and the firms doing that are making looooads of money.

If you bought it and just stuck it in a shed, having filled the engine right up with oil, you might get a few hundred k for it now. Say 100x appreciation.

Your story of a residential PPL, Maoraigh, is amazing! That’s the best way to do it, of course.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know of a guy who bought a P-51 Mustang decades ago and stores it in a T-Hangar near mine. It barely fits. He and his wife come out and sit in the hangar sometimes, avoiding property tax by putting the aircraft “on display”. He’s got a tow bar and tug, so sometimes its on open air display for a day too. Apparently the plane was flown in, but hasn’t been airborne or started in a long time, maybe 30 years. It still looks good, and I’m sure it will fly again – there’s a active P-51 industry that will buy the plane in short order when he or his estate decide to sell someday.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Feb 21:47

In 2015 the Air Force sold 15 F-5 Freedom Fighters for 116k NOK a piece. That’s about € 11k

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

If you bought it and just stuck it in a shed, having filled the engine right up with oil, you might get a few hundred k for it now. Say 100x appreciation.

On the other hand 4k invested in an S&P 500 tracker over the same period would yield 850k today, and is a much more liquid asset with much less ballache (not to mention the lack of the need to have land and storage!)

I’d never buy a plane as an investment, only as something to fly. If it happens to appreciate, then happy days!

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

You have to know in advance. Have you stuffed anything into a shed today, wo reap the added value in 60 years?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

LeSving wrote:

In 2015 the Air Force sold 15 F-5 Freedom Fighters for 116k NOK a piece. That’s about € 11k

There’s another guy near me, an ex-USAF pilot who started a couple of successful local companies, who is rebuilding F-5s sourced from wherever he can find them, worldwide. They are then put into military training (aggressor simulation) service under commercial contract. It is very spectacular when they take off from right in front of my hangar, very loud… and they are airborne after a shorter ground roll that I expected. Once flown they go away, but after a while another one comes out of the nest.

Silvaire wrote:

There’s another guy near me, an ex-USAF pilot who started a couple of successful local companies, who is rebuilding F-5s sourced from wherever he can find them, worldwide

Could be the guy who bought them. It was an American company who ended up buying all 15, lots of strings attached apparently, they couldn’t simply be sold on the open market.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Silvaire wrote:

There’s another guy near me, an ex-USAF pilot who started a couple of successful local companies, who is rebuilding F-5s sourced from wherever he can find them, worldwide. They are then put into military training (aggressor simulation) service under commercial contract.

Jester said:

“We will be dealing with F-5s and A-4s as our MiG simulators.”

:-)

EGLM & EGTN
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message