Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEPs in service with european Armed Forces

While the rain continues and curfew extends, I thought of this combined summary of all SEPs currently (or recently retired) with european armed forces.
I have this idea because the French navy just announced it ordered from Robin aircraft 2 new CAP10 NG + upgrade kits for their 5 flying ones link

French air Force and Navy do their basic flight training on Cirruses (I never understood that decision and it seems they regret it a little).
They also have D140 Mousquetaires and glider for glider training.
Then

• FAF cadets switch to Grob 120s and then turbines.
  • French Navy switch to CAP10 and then either turbines with the FAF or US Navy (for carrier operations)

I know Irish air Corps had Reims Rockets some years ago, but I can’t find the article I read about it a few months ago.

What do your country fly ?

LFOU, France

Pilatus PC-7.

(I loved the youtube series where they follow the ab-initio selection process for the French Navy on Cap-10s).

T28
Switzerland

Hellenic Air Force (HAF) used to have the Τ-41D which is being replaced by the Tecnam P2002JF.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

SF-260M and SF-260D

EBST, Belgium

T28 wrote:

Pilatus PC-7

They are SET though, no?

The Luftwaffe uses Grob 120A

The had used

• L18 (1956 – 1965)
  • T-6 (1956 – 1966)
  • Do-27 (1957 – 1980)
  • P.149D (1957 – 1990)
  • Elster B (1960 – 1978)
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Jujupilote wrote:

French air Force and Navy do their basic flight training on Cirruses

Never understood using Cirrus for basic trainers but maybe the DA40 fashion from commercial trainning ?
But they go into TB30 Epsilon afterward?

UK RAF used Chipmunks/Bulldogs but now fly Grob Tutors as basic Cadets trainers
Morrocan RAF used AS202, T34B (and turbine T34C) as basic Cadets trainers

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Feb 11:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

They are SET though, no?

Yes. Saves money vs. having to learn and unlearn all the piston stuff, and whoever can’t hack it on the PC7 likely can’t drive big iron either, so the weeding rate is more accurate than doing initial on a SEP, weeding some, then doing the upgrade on a turbine and weeding a few more. Plus it’s not like we train that many either…

And also, we only fly office hours.

T28
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

Yes. Saves money vs. having to learn and unlearn all the piston stuff

When did ever the military cared about saving money on their running costs?
Maybe low pilots salaries? monthly pay has to be less than the cost of a 30min sortie in the F5

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

Yes. Saves money vs. having to learn and unlearn all the piston stuff, and whoever can’t hack it on the PC7 likely can’t drive big iron either, so the weeding rate is more accurate than doing initial on a SEP, weeding some, then doing the upgrade on a turbine and weeding a few more. Plus it’s not like we train that many either…

Oh I have no issue with using SET for military initial training, I was just referring to Jujupilote specifically asking for SEP.

To add to the list, Denmarks Flyvevåbnet uses MFI-15 for training.

they had used post-war:

• Percival Proctor (1945-1951)
  • Supermarine SeaOtter (1946-1952)
  • Harvard (1946-1959)
  • KZ-VII (1948-1977)
  • DHC-1 Chipmunk (150-1976)
  • Fairey Firefly (1951-1959)
  • KZ-X (1952-1959)
  • Cub (1957-1977)
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Spain still uses the license built Chilean T-35 Pillan AKA PA28R-300 soon to be replaced by Pilatus turboprops…

In Spain it is called the “Tamiz” , Spanish word for sieve… self explantory

Antonio
LESB, Spain
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message