Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

We bought an early Siai Marchetti SF260

NorFlyer wrote:

We are using a brand called Lesonal (a division of Akzo I believe) and their HS420

Thanks. That makes sense in terms of color matching and is one of the advantages of doing it yourself – you can use any brand you like, sold for cars or whatever works. In my dealings with US aircraft paint shops, I’ve found that they each tend to use one brand of (aircraft) paint, with a very limited range of standard colors. If you want to match to an original color, it can be very tedious as the manufacturer has only a few places in the country that can do it – most customers aren’t so fussy and use a standard color. The good news in my case is that the regional distributor for one popular brand (Sherwin Williams Acry Glo) is located about two blocks from my hangar. They can match to a sample and I can then supply the paint to the shop, 300 miles away.

The RAL code thing is interesting to me. I have the original invoices, shipping documents and factory paint scheme drawings for my particular plane, specifying RAL paint codes. I ordered a RAL paint sample book from RAL themselves (it’s a quasi official German agency) and it’s apparent when looking at hidden, undamaged and polished areas of original 50 year old paint that it was never painted in at least one of the shades specified. Another case where the documentation is much more precise than the reality

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Mar 15:05

So, it’s been almost a month since the last update. There hasn’t really been any progress till this week. Easter holidays and subsequent quarantines really put a dent in our schedule. However we have gotten quite a bit done this week.

Last Friday we were back in the shop and after looking the fuselage over we weren’t quite happy with the gloss and the finish of the paint job. We went over everything with 400 grit sandpaper and resprayed the whole thing. Much better this time. There still are areas that could have been better, but if we’re ever going to get her flying we need to accept that we are happy amateurs.

The accents and detailing was masked off and the “black” (RAL9010) was shot. Everything except the registration (will be on the stabilizer) is masked and painted.

Yesterday we got her out of the back shop and into the hangar. Mounted the engine and got the assembly started before weeks end.

Great to see her taking shape again.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Beautiful. What an amazing project.
Looking forward to seeing your interior coming together.

Belgium

Quick weekend update. Cockpit is coming along nicely, and the engine has started to get its accessories and sensors mounted. Currently we are able to put in 8-10 manhours every day, and that’s good for progress. Final panel is getting powder coated tomorrow, and the coming week will see the tail surfaces finished and mounted. Till next weekend.

ENEG

What a project…. even given the possibility of full time effort, it’s amazing how quickly it’s progressing. Can’t wait to see the finished product, as well as future episodes on the amazing rate of completion

I do have a really awful, anorak type comment: I believe the brake fluid spec is Mil-H-5606, and the reservoir is marked S606. Could it have been mismarked originally, and the typo carried over? Or is it somehow correct?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 May 16:43

Silvaire wrote:

I do have a really awful, anorak type comment: I believe the brake fluid spec is Mil-H-5606, and the reservoir is marked S606. Could it have been mismarked originally, and the typo carried over? Or is it somehow correct?

Haha… great catch. Was hoping it would slip by. This was a total f***up pasting some text into Illustrator and then not catching at the plotter, transfer, or paint………. let’s write it off as battle damage. Will probably be fixed at some point ;)

ENEG

(pardon the mess…)

Starting to resemble a flying machine again Working on the empennage this week. Lots fiberglass work, bondo and sanding on small trim pieces. Graphics laid out this afternoon and will be shot over the (long) weekend. Starting work on the wings next week. Getting them stripped and prepped for the wing spar SB/AD.

Cheers.

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 21 May 19:41
ENEG

Nice, you’re working at pace!
Why the Danish registration?

EGTR

Top notch as usual in your thread!

always learning
LO__, Austria

mmgreve wrote:

Why the Danish registration?

Simply because the Danish CAA are good to work with when it comes to airworthiness matters.

Snoopy wrote:

Top notch as usual in your thread!

Thanks again! Got an update coming this weekend.

We have come across a bit of an issue getting the panel finished. The markings! We want it printed in some sort of ink, but no one, at least locally (nationally) will take on the task. I’m afraid we’re going to end up with decals…

Next big task coming up is the wings. For the general timeline, we are now looking at first flight early fall. My guess is that it will be fully finished about a year after we picked it up in Italy (late November).

ENEG
Sign in to add your message