Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

We bought an early Siai Marchetti SF260

Last weekend we packed a big trailer and drove 2500 km from Norway to Italy to pick up a 1968 SF260, 550 TTSN (last log entry from 86). Disassembled the aircraft, crated the wings and made a cradle for the fuselage. Got everything loaded and drove the 2500km back to Norway this weekend.

This will be a complete “overhaul”. Zero timed engine, prop and components (ie. flap- and gear motor), everything will be stripped primed and painted. New interior. New panel (G500TXi, GTN750 etc.), smoke system.

We just got back, and having travelled through Italy, Austria, Germany and Denmark we are quarantined for 10 days. Will unpack, sort and start the full teardown tomorrow.

More about the history and plans to come. First flight is scheduled for May 1st 2021. Hope you will follow along.

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 15 Nov 21:28
Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Subscribed

EBST, Belgium

Congratulations great aircraft was lucky to fly one in Milan. Oozes MIL-Spec.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Excellent project. It’s hard not to notice those SF260’s on Planecheck. I bought a 260 yesterday, but it’s only a Cherokee!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Congratulations, hope it goes well for you. I would be interested to hear of your trials and tribulations, parts a availability/cost issues, rebuild challenges and rigging issues etc as time goes on. An SF260 would be one kind of ultimate for me and someday when I have more time a project like this would be very attractive… Definitely my kind of thing and they are ‘out there’.

How do your feel about the early fuel system, with if I understand correctly four small independently selected tanks?

My hangar neighbor was out with his ex-Libyan SF260W yesterday, first cleaning the belly, then to the wash rack, then back to the hangar after a flight to dry everything out. His was a flying project and several years later it’s just about done now, new panel etc made easier by it being in FAA Experimental Exhibition category.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Nov 23:37

PS EuroGA SF260 link here.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Nov 00:22

What a great project. Looking forward to updates. I assume you are residing in that hangar, just to make full use of the quarantine ;) ?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Congratulations! I am sure it will be a very rewarding project, though expect a few minor frustrations.

As I have owned my 1968 model for 37 years I have a good deal of experience with the Marchetti’s systems and am happy to help if needed. Will send you a PM with my contact details.

RobertL18C wrote:

Congratulations great aircraft was lucky to fly one in Milan. Oozes MIL-Spec.

Thank you sir. Yes, it’s built like a tank, without the weight :-)

WilliamF wrote:

Excellent project. It’s hard not to notice those SF260’s on Planecheck. I bought a 260 yesterday, but it’s only a Cherokee!

I think it will be a good one. We made a good deal. Very pleasant experience trading with these guys so far. A Cherokee is never going to be only ;-)

Silvaire wrote:

Congratulations, hope it goes well for you. I would be interested to hear of your trials and tribulations, parts a availability/cost issues, rebuild challenges and rigging issues etc as time goes on. An SF260 would be one kind of ultimate for me and someday when I have more time a project like this would be very attractive… Definitely my kind of thing and they are ‘out there’.

How do your feel about the early fuel system, with if I understand correctly four small independently selected tanks?

My hangar neighbor was out with his ex-Libyan SF260W yesterday, first cleaning the belly, then to the wash rack, then back to the hangar after a flight to dry everything out. His was a flying project and several years later it’s just about done now, new panel etc made easier by it being in FAA Experimental Exhibition category.

Thanks. I am sure there will be trials to be had, but my mech/co-owner of our company is fortunately quite experienced with these. We also do have a small parts repository from way back.

As for the fuel system I don’t think it’s that bad. You have the tip tanks with 18 USG each and the mains holding 12.7 each.

Snoopy wrote:

What a great project. Looking forward to updates. I assume you are residing in that hangar, just to make full use of the quarantine ;) ?

Will try to post regular updates. Also video. Thats our hangar yes. Unfortunately the wife doesn’t like me sleeping there ;-)

Marchettiman wrote:

Congratulations! I am sure it will be a very rewarding project, though expect a few minor frustrations.

As I have owned my 1968 model for 37 years I have a good deal of experience with the Marchetti’s systems and am happy to help if needed. Will send you a PM with my contact details.

Thank you. I’m sure you will be of great help :-)

ENEG

First draft of the panel layout.

GDU 1060, G500 TXi, BLACK, AHRS, Standard
GTN 750Xi Black GPS/COM/NAV
G5 for Certificated Aircraft, Standard Kit (AI)
GTS 800 w/ Dual GA 58 Directional Antennas
GTX 345 with installation kit and pilot’s guide
GMA 35c Standard Remote Bluetooth
GNC 255A Standard
GSB 15, Rear Power Input

ENEG
162 Posts
Sign in to add your message