Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots had flown Cessna 172

I landed one from the right seat arriving at Aero Friedrichshafen in 2013… it was a Reims Rocket. I’ve ridden in a lot of them but that my sole C172 piloting experience.

Well, as my screen handle sort of gives it away – I have indeed flown many C172s! However, and perhaps unusually, the vast majority of my C172 flights were in C172RGs. I rarely fly them now, although I did my CPL in one early this year. They are great little machines and can fill an amazing variety of roles if you don’t need speed and/or payload.

The question should really be – how many pilots have not flown a C172!

Number 1 345 007 and 1 345 008 done today. Not sure how correct is the count anyway

Last Edited by Michal at 11 Apr 19:44
LKKU, LKTB

Only in Florida: I, M, S, SP, from basic sun-baked steamgauges to G1000, autopilot, aircon. Like huv, my first impression was not good: I remember thinking ‘quel gros veau’ (what a fat calf). You do get a comfortable cabin and plenty of space to throw stuff in the back.

Also C140 (a joy to fly), C152 (cramped with an obese instructor), C162 (fun for a while), C182 (good all round).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I like the 172 (even the early models with O-300). Sometime I rent a current model with G1000. Feels a bit like flying a piano the first few minutes, but ease of entry, space and views down are great. Would like to try a 182 one day.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Apr 21:23
always learning
LO__, Austria

About 350 hours on 6 regs, mostly 172 N, flying myself and instructing. Fond memories taking up lots of people who all enjoyed the great views straight down.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I’ve rented 2 post-2000 models, not glass, in Colorado, and at least 3 older ones in Scotland. I don’t like the C172, although I’ve continued flying in conditions worse than I’ve flown in anything else.
I prefer C152/150 and Pa28/38 for rental.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Fond of this stalwart of aviation but early in my flying I appreciated the need for more grunt.

Aged 13 3/4 metaphorically I was to ferry a 172M with electronic sign writing under the wing. Imagine a sort of aerial application row of lights. All was well until I reached Denver Stapleton. Having been dazzled by the Coombs Jet FBO ramp ladies in shorts, this was the 70’s, I proceeded to take off having leaned the mixture for peak RPM. Time was around 5pm local and outside temp high 20’s.

The then young 172 managed to get airborne but I had to nurse it round back to land, the combination of the density altitude and lighting system reducing climb rate to gnats level.

I quickly realised that nursing it across the Rockies in summer meant night VFR, my testicular fortitude being lacking a more wily and courageous colleague carried out the gig and delivered it several days later to Vancouver.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Your anecdotes would make a good book or at least a blog. Very nicely written! You don’t happen to have a picture of those fbo workers in hotpants (just kidding).
:)

Last Edited by Snoopy at 12 Apr 21:07
always learning
LO__, Austria

I seem to have flown 8 of them, including practically all of my primary and IR training. I’d be surprised if 99% of US pilots don’t have time in one. Look at any GA airport and they are the single most common type. DIfferent in Europe where the PA28 seems more common.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message