Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elixir - new aircraft with a chute - now CS23 certified for VFR

Peter 13-Dec-19 17:10 05
100% carbon = a rough ride in turbulence, however? And not particularly crashworthy.

@Peter

The 787 wing is CFRP, flex’s a lot and gives a very smooth ride. As does the Airbus 350 and my Cirrus as it happens.

EGLL, EGLF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Well, well, fantastic news! Great to see that they managed to do what many others (hello, Pipistrel?) don’t! My earlier cynicism was clearly unjustified in this case.

Biggin Hill

Mtom 544kg, 10 000ft max ceiling and day only now…
Wondering about basic empty weight?

EASA Elixir type certificate

G3x
LKKU, Czech Republic

544 kg MTOM seems very odd. Why not need it up to go for 600 or more?

ESSZ, Sweden

No idea why but 544 kg is exactly 1200lb

The TC local copy

states Day VFR and very unusually it has a ceiling of 10,000ft:

Why would that be?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s a microlight design with the certification standards of CS-23. Actually not too bad if you know what you are buying!

Limitation to 10.000ft seems completely weird – unclear what the root cause for such a limitation could be.

Germany

G3x wrote:

Mtom 544kg, 10 000ft max ceiling and day only now…

If something sounds too good, there mostly is a string attached.

This plane may work in the lowlands but therefore is totally useless in the alpine regions. Apart, another single seater with 2 seats.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think you’ll find that the certification process is a work in progress. It is certified now for the orders (AIUI a good number) they have already received. The certification meets those needs.

France

I’m really curious about these 10.000ft.

What would be a (technical) reason to limit altitude to 10k? Are there any special certification requirements if you want to go above 10k? The engine can fly higher, so that can’t be the limit.
If it would be an aerodynamic reason (e.g. flutter problems), which is extremely unlikely, the limit would not be expressed as MSL altitude but as density altitude.

Even if it is the case what Gallois assumed that they optimized the certification process for intended use: In what way does the process get cheaper/faster/easier if you limit to 10.000 ft and not 18k or so ?!?

Germany
Sign in to add your message