Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA50

The delivery of the first batch (8 or 9 airplanes) is further delayed. September is now what they are aiming for.

EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands

Ibra wrote:

DA aircrafts have high safety record including few twins crashes (in hands of stupid pilots ofc)

That accident qualifies for both of these statements. They have Diamond to thank for their lifes.

The report is not untypical unfortunately for people who spend their lifes flying low lands. And then switching off the ELT because the noise disturbed him…. jeeeez…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Something about the DA50 in this video

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Peter 18-Jul-21 21:10 181

I may be biased being a Cirrus owner but those figures they were reading from the Diamond brochure aren’t particularly impressive for a new design. The Cirrus will be its direct competitor as a composite 4/5 place SEP, however as others have previously said the DA50 is heavier, slower, requires more runway and doesn’t have a parachute – apparently a huge plus for ‘spousal’ approval when spending $1M. Fuel consumption will of course be much better (in terms of cost rather than FF) and in parts of the world where avgas is scarce it will have a huge advantage, maybe it will spur Cirrus on to develop a diesel installation themselves.

It is a good looking aeroplane (from certain angles) and some people just don’t like Cirrus so I’m sure they’ll find their market, I hope so anyway – healthy competition can only be a good thing.

Last Edited by Xlr8tr at 19 Jul 11:48
EGLL, EGLF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Xlr8tr wrote:

DA50 is heavier, slower

Which is usual for the first version of any Diamond’s aircraft when it hits the market. I guess the performances will be improved in following years, few knots will be added and probably some range with additional fuel tanks. However, it’s hard to imagine great success of $1 million SEP without chute. IIRC CD-300 is currently 1200 hours TBR with plans for 2000. For $1M you can buy turbine plane with more than 2000 hours left to TBO – it won’t have 2021 avionics but it can have something very similar and it will be pressurized and will fly FL260 easily at 260 KTAS.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I wonder if the DA 50 has been a victim of circumstances.
When it was first taken to the Air Shows as a prototype, there were supposed to be 2 versions, 1 version was roughly what we have now but the options would be FIKI, diesel or Avgas engine and parachute.
The second version was to be pressurised and there was the possibility of the turbine option.
Perhaps what they have got now is what was left when the bean counters did their sums.

France
Emir
Show profile
20-Jul-21 06:53 183
Xlr8tr wrote:

DA50 is heavier, slower
Which is usual for the first version of any Diamond’s aircraft when it hits the market.

Are saying they will reduce the regulated MTOW? It’s usual for the basic weight to be heavier on prototypes/early models but usually the certificated MTOW tends to go up not down.

Currently MTOW’s

Cirrus – 3600lbs

DA50 – 4407lbs

That’s 807lbs heavier MTOW for slightly less HP – hence my comment, heavier and slower.
It’s a heavy airframe built with a heavy engine installation, the single advantage I can see is the diesel – and that will only be of benefit in certain areas of the world for now.

The Peter wrote:

INteresting video. The guys seem to be a bit biased (which is not unusual since most owners/flyers like their own aircraft). Nonetheless I for one think the main advantages of the DA50 are being new and cabin amplitude. On all else….well. Personally I am missing pressurization and it should go an a 400lb weight-loss diet.

They rightfully place importance on weight and power-to-weight ratio, but then fail to properly compare climb-to-altitude performance (as opposed to max ROC at SL which is not very meaningful other than in the initial stages of a flight).

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes; 1000fpm (say 10% climb angle) sea level performance is plenty for flying around. The fun starts when you get higher up, when boosting the MP makes a huge difference, and on diesels you get this as standard, and they don’t need all the cylinders chucked away at 800hrs

Perhaps disappointing that they didn’t do more to save weight. There is a lot one can do with material choices. But shaving off 200kg is going to be very expensive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Peter 21-Jul-21 05:57 187

and they don’t need all the cylinders chucked away at 800hrs

Nope just a brand new engine installation with all accessories at 1200hrs!

Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one