Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA50

M20K 252 TSE certified ceiling is FL280, maybe @terbang flew that neigh once

Rocket 305 conversion engine can go to FL310 but aircraft is not RVSM certified

Under US rules, there is no ceiling under Part91 as it’s only commercial operations Part135/121 that have that limit, but the pilots needs high altitude endorsement for flying above FL250, but I doubt you will need a pressurised aircraft to be certified to fly at FL260?

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Aug 07:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

M20K 252 TSE certified ceiling is FL280, maybe @terbang flew that neigh once

Terbang flies the Encore, which is limited to FL250 😬

Last Edited by airways at 02 Aug 09:18
EBST, Belgium

Ibra wrote:

but I doubt you will need a pressurised aircraft to be certified to fly at FL260?

Getting a bit off-topic here, but I don’t know if there’s anything between pressurization and “normal oxygen system” to allow for anything between FL250 and FL300. But “High Altitude Operation” refers to FL250, see e.g. here

Anyway, the DA50 will most certainly not climb up to FL250, if the turbo critical altitude is already as low as FL120.

Germany

Ibra wrote:

but I doubt you will need a pressurised aircraft to be certified to fly at FL260?

Reverting back on this, I found this article with a lot of technical details:

362_Article_Text_798_1_10_20180308_pdf

There it is found that

The air-conditioning and pressurization system for airplanes certified for and operating above 25, 000 ft must be designed so as to allow the remaining air-pack to maintain CA at or below 15,000 ft at all times, as specifically stated in CFR 25.841 (FAA 2015a). Accordingly, every airplane certified to fly above 25,000 ft must have means to limit the CA to 15,000 ft in the event of any reasonably probable malfunction or failure of the pressurization system (Jeppesen 2007).

CA means cabin altitude.

Germany

But that doesn’t contradict what was said before. There are non pressurized aircraft certified above 25 k ft, like the Mooney 252 TSE.

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

But that doesn’t contradict what was said before

Would be interesting if someone had some information about what is involved to have an non-pressurized aircraft certified to above 25000 feet.

Germany

Part 25 certification is for transport category aircraft so not applicable to the Mooney which is Part 23. As far as memory serves Part 23 does not have any provisions for pressurisation.

T28
Switzerland

Mine is certified to FL280, but when it was G-reg, the CAA limited it to max FL250.

EBST, Belgium

Do you get much benefit at flying Fl 280 instead of Fl250 in an SEP?
Or in fact any altitude above FL180?

France

I guess CAA printed that limit in the back of G-reg POH? it was treated like military vintages: T4 JetProvosts & Gnats “normal operation” still leave room for weather avoidance or increase gliding range !

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Aug 13:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one