Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft rental in Sardinia?

I will probably be in Sardinia for a couple of days during late April and am wondering if there is a flight school or aeroclub where I could rent a plane (SEP), maybe with instructor or local pilot, for a sightseeing flight? Google hasn’t revealed anything relevant, has anyone a recommendation?

Thank you,

Marcel

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Visited Sardinia a few times over the years, always with my own airplane. The major airports, Olbia, Alghero and Cagliari used to be, but are not GA friendly anymore. No known flight school there to my knowledge.
A better option is the rental with or without FI in the ultralight category. On my last visit 2 years ago, we toured the island landing only on so called Campo Volo, unregistered airfields, usually free of charge, but offering no IFR approaches…
At least one, La Tana del volo aka CA06 was offering either rental or schooling on their fleet. Again, ultralights. This one is located about 15NM West of Cagliari. I would recommend a sightseeing flight from there, either heading due SW towards il Golfo di Teulada and then heading North, or East, wonderful coastline from Capo Carbonara up to Olbia. The northern part of the island being kinda boring beaches and expensive villas…

If using SkyDemon you could buy the Avioportalino, a very good guide for these kind of fields.
Enjoy this beautiful place, and lucky you get there still kinda out of season…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Before I forget, don’t know about your experience, but low flying along the coast better watch out for the plentiful seagulls. Those are usually pretty stubborn if not outright stupid, and will not go out of your way…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

watch out for the plentiful seagulls. Those are usually pretty stubborn if not outright stupid, and will not go out of your way

They are way less smart than the frozen variety with wings clipped

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thank you! I’m a SkyDemon user too and was surprised by the number of these unregistered airfields. Unfortunately I’m not ultralight enough to fly one of these 🤣🤣 but maybe the newer 600kg-UL regime arrived in Italy too 😉.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Ok, another idea is to take your personal or rental aircraft to fly „down“ to Sardinia, short hop from either LSZF or LFSB. Send grandma, the dog and the rest of the family on the low cost flight, follow behind in your aircraft, then you’ll have it all and more

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I thought in the original post you asked about somewhere to rent in Sardinia with or without instructor. In which case the club you rent from will have the right aircraft.

France

I don’t agree on Alghero not being GA friendly. I go there several times a year, and yes, handling is required but it is not extortionate and the service is great and friendly. Was last there in February (updated the database) in the Baron. There is no Avgas anymore though, tank got flooded and needed to be replaced which they opted not to. If you can have a stop in Ajaccio (work going on in Figari when I was there and NOTAM Ed closed for most traffic (72hppr might as well be shut) you’re golden, unless you have reserves (as I always do in the Comanche)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

I don’t agree on Alghero not being GA friendly.

Cagliari LIEE charges non-existing handling (110€) during fuel stop, so comparing that to what you reported about pricing at LIEA, Alghero is super-friendly.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I don’t agree on Alghero not being GA friendly.

I agree, Alghero is great!

EBMO, EBKT
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message