Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Adding USB Data download to EDM 700

I have JPI’s EDM 700 with fuel flow installed. I love it. What is involved in adding data download capability? This might be overkill for an 0-360, but I’m curious how much labor is involved and whether people find the feature useful.

Tököl LHTL

All JPI engine monitors have data download.

The older ones, like the straight 700, use a RS232 port with a proprietary adapter to USB . You should be able to pick up a second hand one for free.

The feature is VERY useful.

Last Edited by Michael at 26 Nov 18:57
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Does the USB adapter for the EDM700 provide extra storage? I am talking about the one into which you can plug in a USB flash stick, so obviously it has a processor.

The EDM700 has a ridiculously small memory, even for its era (1980s).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does the USB adapter for the EDM700 provide extra storage?

No, it’s just a file transfer device . You plug it in, download and un-plug.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I had the USB port added a couple of years ago. The JPI has to go back to the States and it costs about $200.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Thanks guys, useful information.

Tököl LHTL

Why they didn’t add storage into the USB add-on, is downright stupid. The EDM700 stores only about 20-30hrs’ worth and even that was made possible by reducing the logging resolution to 5F steps. The display is to 1F but the log is stored only if the temp changes by 5F or more.

But hey in all business you milk your cash cows – until you can’t. And JPI pretty well killed the competition.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message