Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A little flight in a Cessna CJ4

why the FMS input keyboards aren’t QERTY

The Cirrus salesman told me it was because there are several different language variations of the QWERTY layout, so the ABCD layout is preferred as it makes everyone equally unhappy.

J

Clearly the A380 is only flown by anglophone pilots.

Link

Or perhaps that individual aircraft is only flown by Anglohapt pilots.

The CJ4 is – as far as I know – the biggest, and the jet with the greatest range, that can be flown single pilot. If you ever want to really compete with the airlines in time and want to be able to do it single pilot, this is pretty much the only ride in town except for the SJ30, perhaps. They both have 2000nm+ range, but I think the CJ4 is closer to 3000nm.

They both have 2000nm+ range, but I think the CJ4 is closer to 3000nm.

Below 2000NM (http://www.cessna.com/aircraft-range-tool). The only Citation with more than 3000NM range is the new Ten.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I stand corrected.

That means that the SJ30 must be the only SP jet that can go more than 2000nm. Somehow, I’d thought that range would be a priority in this class. That means that there’s not a single SP jet that can do LA to NY direct with good IFR margins. Kind of disappointing.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 29 Sep 13:01

The big achilles heel of all the light jets: Lack of range.

The Phenom 300 & CJ4 are the top performers for single pilot operation. (price tag: ~ USD10m)

The Phenom is a pretty cool looking jet, while Cessna interiors still exude that classic “70s boardroom chic”.

As mentioned the Citation X will do transcontinental, but if you’re doing intercontinental stuff, only the heavy iron will do the trick – Falcons, GLEX, Gulfstream…

Did it have quick donning oxygen?

In theory if flown to public transport standards a SP biz jet, the pilot would don a mask above FL250 (I think) – probably not applicable for part 91 type operations, but a few oxygen related accidents come to mind, including the recent TBM 900 accident.

By definition any flight over 300-400nm would require wearing a mask.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes it did have the quick donning masks. But then so did a TBM850 I flew a few years ago. That seems to be standard on these planes.

I don’t think there are any single pilot PT ops in jets in Europe – are they? There have been some news about PT ops in SE turboprops, though that’s a different issue (all PT ops beyond an A-to-A AOC need 2 engines). All PT in jets need 2 pilots – even in the USA AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think there are any single pilot PT ops in jets in Europe – are they?

Our authority (Germany) allows it only for non-revenue flights like post-maintenance acceptance flights or positioning flights. But the pilots then need a single-pilot checkride which most commercial operators don’t bother to do as it costs more then the second pilot on those few flights.

Last Edited by what_next at 29 Sep 21:00
EDDS - Stuttgart
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message