Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A fun personality quiz for pilots

@alioth, at the risk of going on a slight tangent… I live in a very left wing area by US standards, although the variation by local postal code is quite significant and you can guess where most pilots live. What’s happening at the moment is unprecedented to my eyes. Three ‘forever’ pilots and friends local to me have left in the last year, with their wives, heading off to Southwest Oregon, Idaho someplace and to just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Two of the three moved to hangar houses on residential airports. The impetus has been distaste for local government in general, COVID related local government actions pushing them ‘over the edge’ so to speak plus an extremely hot local housing market, especially in the outlying areas where they had houses. I heard out of the blue last night that one of my A&P friends has now sold two of his three planes and his house, after four days on the market for 600% of what he paid for it. All three couples were recently retired from six good jobs and of course that opened up a lot of options – with leaving behind over active government being very much among them.

I don’t think I would at this stage follow them in leaving, my job is very valuable to me, and probably not after retirement either because I hope to have enough assets at that point to buy my way around state and local government nonsense – at least that’s the current plan! Time will tell.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Nov 16:53

Which is probably more due to the unpalatable “authoritarian” end of the spectrum (the top half of the diagram) forcing them away, rather than left/right. As I was saying, most pilots I know are somewhere in the bottom half of the diagram whether left leaning or right leaning, whether in Europe or the USA.

Andreas IOM

I haven’t seen a lack of correlation in local politics between left and authoritarian… especially when you look at what is done versus what is said.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Nov 17:19

Silvaire wrote:

Three ‘forever’ pilots and friends local to me have left in the last year, with their wives, heading off to Southwest Oregon, Idaho someplace and to just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

You better go and visit them soon – they’ll die of boredom…

Silvaire wrote:

I haven’t seen a lack of correlation in local politics between left and authoritarian…

That is 100% correct, certainly here in CA. That said, it’s heartening to see that the people do retain some measure of common sense, see the results of the latest round of ‘Propositions’ (direct democracy votes, somewhat akin to Swiss referenda) here. All the ones pushed by the left-authoritarian complex lost.

@172driver, southwest Oregon and Idaho are actually pretty nice, depending on the specific location My friend who is going to a large Tulsa-area airport home is an old-school EAA type who came from Kansas originally, i.e. I have a mental image of him never leaving his gigantic hangar except when flying, and his wife bringing dinner to him every day. He has sold two planes but still has one that flies and one project.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Nov 18:21

I think lots of the questions are stuff I haven’t really given much thought. It is therefore difficult to be 100% for or 100% against.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

We are never disappointed by your friends’s stories silvaire

I heard about the CA exile in some conservative news, but thought it was very marginal.

I guess residential airports are more frequent in those states than in socal too.

LFOU, France

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Interesting, I expected more libertarian and more in the centre, I guess it’s just where they’ve the window is.

I think lots of the questions are stuff I haven’t really given much thought. It is therefore difficult to be 100% for or 100% against.

That’s why there are 4 answers to pick from. I actually missed a third one (don’t care). What I find a bit more difficult is to pick an answer to questions where I believe something should be one way while acting in the other direction. That apparently makes me an anarchist with his own house.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message