Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A fly-in in Jan/Feb 2015?

Obviously we don’t want anywhere in 1m of snow

Also southern Europe has some pretty bad wx at this time of the year – lots of rain, even if the temps are OK…
LGKC 020650Z /////KT 9999 -RA SCT020 BKN080 16/14 Q1014

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In this case, come to Austria. In contrast to what our tourism industry says, we hard hardly any snow until February or March in 2014
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Southern Germany would be much more attractive to me – less mountains, a bit closer to home, and above all less stringent legal requirements – but even then the weather would have to be extremely benign.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Snow is great in a country that is set up and prepared for it.

The trouble in other countries (including my own) is that everything grinds to a halt. Having visited Austria through many winters, snow is nothing to them. They clean it up during the night, their cars have special tyres that make driving on it no more of an issue than driving on wet roads and they just get on with things.

And it looks nice too :)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

@ dublinpilot: Great that you enjoy your stays in Austria. My comment was of course more tongue in cheek .

For a winter fly-in, LOWZ or alternatively LOIJ are great suggestions, with skiing slopes being literally 5 minutes from the airfields. The problem with both destinations is that there can be long periods of fog in this season, and the next alternates (LOWS and LOWI, respectively) are quite far away.

For comparatively warm weather, I guess southern Spain or Morocco are the best destinations. Forget about the Adriatic in the winter, it tends to be completely soaked in …

Last Edited by blueline at 02 Dec 16:10

I guess the ski slopes aren’t that far away from LOWI, and LOWI would have the benefit of IFR (interesting procedures!) and comparatively little fog

LSZK, Switzerland

LOWI is of course fine (one would need to check parking availibility for a bigger number of aircraft). However, IMHO nothing beats the atmosphere of LOWZ with a lake, several skiing resorts and even a glacier nearby – all that without the need to hire a car.

LOWI limits winter parking to oil billionaires.

I rather have a real winter experience with snow than lukewarm rain in Southern Europe… We tend to have stable high pressure areas in winter with very nice weather. I remember great flying trips.

LOWI – Innsbruck – looks good, but CAVOK is kind of desirable

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I gave LOWI a quick call. They say they have definitely no parking availability for an estimated 6 to 10 a/c on winter weekends.

59 Posts
Sign in to add your message