Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A few questions on Android phones

but by using the Linux core systems they don’t have much choice but to keep it open source […] Linux is free

The core of any modern OS in terms of lines of code is insignificant. It’s all the libraries, sub systems, virtual machines, drivers, APIs on top of the core. A modern OS has more than 100 million lines of code. The OS core is commodity.

Wrt Android, what is free and distributed as open source is the commodity stuff. After all most of Android core was stolen. For example, Android devices ship with proprietary software, such as Google Mobile Services (GMS). GMS is where most of the innovation is happening. Needless to say, GMS is not open source, nor free. Google wisely is migrating more and more functionality into the proprietary GMS stack, starving the open source portion, to protect their business, which is based off of making the consumer the product, contrary to Apple’s business model. That’s why I have great respect for Apple, and zero for Google, which exploits and invades the privacy of the user, while attempting to build the perception of doing good to society.

Flyer59 is right, “rooting” and “jail breaking” is for the naïve user. Smart people focus on task completion.

United States

That’s why I have great respect for Apple, and zero for Google, which exploits and invades the privacy of the user, while attempting to build the perception of doing good to society.

You don’t see a problem with Apple arbitrarily deciding what software can or can not be put in the App store? Which is the only place you can get software for your iPhone/iPad short of jailbreaking.

I used to have great respect for Apple, but it all went away when they started doing things like rejecting a South Park app because the contents was “potentially offensive” (no kidding). For me, this is a freedom of speech issue.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s why I have great respect for Apple, and zero for Google, which exploits and invades the privacy of the user, while attempting to build the perception of doing good to society.

Spoken like a real Apple evangelist

All Nexuses (Google phones and pads) are open and free for everyone to “exploit” with tools supplied by Google. No other supplier of hardware or software does anything remotely equal to this. It really should be a third option on Peters list:

• A Nexus phone/pad

Flyer59 is right, “rooting” and “jail breaking” is for the naïve user. Smart people focus on task completion.

If by naive you mean people who are not afraid of walking the extra mile and by smart you mean people who are, then yes I agree. Anyway, personally I have no use for rooting my phone, but I like the idea that I can when/if the need emerges to complete a task

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Spoken like a real Apple evangelist

That’s a dangerous road in any discussion, to ridicule others becasue you don’t like their opinion.

For me, this is a freedom of speech issue.

You cannot use such an extreme as an argument against a whole company of that size and its products. If that was the standard, you could certainly not buy any Google, Samsung – or any other product on this planet. That’s just double standards. We all know that US companies can be a little crazy (for our european tastess) anyway, in some respect. But if you are into morales: Which company of that size is without faults, please let me know.

Smart people focus on task completion.

They do, which is why I use Windows XP on the desktop

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And Apple and Google love these arguments. It keeps people divided into Apple and Google camps and makes them feel part of one of those two camps.

By people being “forced” (and I just use that word, because I can’t think of a better one) into one or the other camp, they get to split the market between them, and nobody else has a chance to enter. Even someone with the power, user base, and finances of Microsoft, struggles to even get recognised in the phone/tablet market. What chance has anyone else got.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I don’t feel like in any camp, but i think OSX is tje most relaxed way of working. I also don’t want to deal with anti virus sw.

XP is really the past, for me. I get sick when i see the device manager and stuff like that

That’s a dangerous road in any discussion, to ridicule others becasue you don’t like their opinion.

It was meant with humor

In this information age we have started, I think commercializing the information is a better alternative than any other alternative we can think of. Look at China.

And Apple and Google love these arguments. It keeps people divided into Apple and Google camps and makes them feel part of one of those two camps.

Apple will soon disintegrate into nothing, just like Nokia. The main reason is their business model is becoming increasingly irrelevant in relation to what the real commodity is. They could change of course.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It keeps people divided into Apple and Google camps

Reminds me of a discussion about Cirrus vs the rest of the world.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message