Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A diesel Cirrus

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I hope the engine is more trustworthy than the chocks under the nose wheel ...

EDxx, Germany

What is that? Experimental? Prototype?

Certainly it had to come and it makes sense.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If you look at the specs on the Deltahawk site..this SR20 diesel will win from the SR22 hands down!!!

I cannot wait for a good 280-300 bhp diesel engine that weighs max 450lbs.. That would be awsum making flying so much cheaper while increasing the cruise speed!

It is meant to show progress of the eternal Delta Hawk 2-stroke diesel program.

Don't look too closely, it could be an electric motor driving the prop and a speaker next to it producing the 2-stroke diesel sound...

If you look at the specs on the Deltahawk site..this SR20 diesel will win from the SR22 hands down!!!

Everybody who has flown the Cirrus SR20 will confirm that 200hp is not much for this aircraft. It is underpowered. The Delta Hawk is supposed to be a little bit lighter but that remains to be seen. It will probably perform well at altitude but poor during takeoff (btw, exactly like the Thielert C172, even its 135hp variant beats the 160hp Lycoming in cruise but not on takeoff).

I cannot wait for a good 280-300 bhp diesel engine that weighs max 450lbs.

There isn't even anybody claiming to develop one. Diesel engines are heavy, much higher combustion pressure. Delta Hawk are targeting 200hp for which the Cirrus is already too heavy. They have announced this engine many years ago and it's still not there.

Deltahawk has one on its roadmap.

sma is coming with a 6 cyl .. however it will be heavier and they are looking into a boosted version of the 230

Continental is looking into a 270 and a 300 version

Don't believe even 10% of what the companies promise...

Regarding Continental, they licensed the old version of the SMA engine and that one really sucked, it has several major issues. Also they didn't buy/hire any engineering resources with relevant experience so I don't think there is much behind their promises. The last time Continental developed an engine was shortly after WW II.

I think the SMA purchase was a cheap way for Conti to hedge their bets.

For the profit from a few of their engines, they could have bought the rights to most of the "waiting for certification" engines exhibited at Friedrichshafen this year (and last year, and every year before that)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All true .. however SMA seems to be delivering..

Conti I have not figured out yet.. They are Chinese owned .. and I do not believe the Chinese want to see Avgas.. They will want jet fuel in succesful airframes like Cirrus. I am very curious to see how their play will unfold.

Lycoming also seems to be going nowhere...

40 Posts
Sign in to add your message