Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A cautionary tale (LFHU L’Alpe d’Huez)

Good news nonetheless!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Not really ; the Notam was valid until June 30th and it was simply not renewed.
The AFPM website says the administration’s pilot filed a report on the field and thinks it should now remain opened to public.
Michel

LFLG - Grenoble le Versoud, France

Tres bien! Was that as a result of actions from APPM or..?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

No more Notam from July 1st ! Landing is again possible in l’Alpe d’Huez.
Michel

Notam slightly changed this morning. Does not change much, except for the based UL pilot.
Michel

Hu_2nd_pdf

dejwu wrote:

he idiots won

I don’t hope so ; but they sometimes make our life uneasy.
Michel

@michelb: Sad to hear that! Even if it is only your personal opinion, such usually reflect important parts of public opinion. Having followed some comparable situations in the past, I doubt one can do anything (legal) against it. It may be we have just one way, declare R.I.P. on the airfield, go on and look for something else, as you already did. There is no way to cope with hubris and bullshit management in todays world anymore, the idiots won.

Last Edited by at 31 Dec 16:53

Jacko wrote:

to test the wind by flying a (very) low pass

Low passes no longer allowed in Huez (see VAC).
Michel

Ok, I’m ready for a new hard time with English. And Reverso.
I’ve just written on the AFPM (mountain pilot association) mailing list that we should stop chatting and ask the President to take a position on the issue and find a solution for all of us.

However, i’ll try to answer your questions , but it will be only MY opinion.
So, you call it a berm. Copied. The photo from the air does not show much, I’m trying to join one from the ground. The altiport is restricted to mountain rated or site rated pilots. But it is public, owned by the Alpe d’Huez municipality. The mayor has named the guy I was speaking of, as local manager on the field.
Even if it was not the case until recently, the ground managers are allowed to emit restrictions as they like. For example, in Grenoble le Versoud, controlled airfield, the ground staff often closes the grass runway with a Notam, but without even warning the TWR !
Let’s go back to Huez, and you can check on the VAC (right side in English) and you won’t be disappointed with the restrictions. I particularly like the departure instructions.

In my opinion, the guy does not want to close the airfield, but he wants to be alone up there. He has not understood yet that he’s shooting himself in the foot (again, my opinion).
And, yes Peter, you’re completely right with the wind effect.

I have already somewhat given up, as arguing on the apron before take-off is not something I can accept. I no longer fly there.
Sorry to be boring with that sad story, but Huez was THE Altiport, with the French “mountain flight Pope”, Henri GIRAUD, on the place.

Michel

@Peter, this is a “restricted use” altiport, for pilots who are supposed to know how to deal with funny winds – not least because such mountain airports tend to be situated on or near furrocky terrain with associated furrocky wind.

Dealing with funny winds doesn’t involve superior stick & rudder skill – two of the most important features of the MOU rating are to be able to test the wind by flying a (very) low pass* and to decide, on the basis of information thus acquired, when not to attempt a landing.

*Of course, the low pass is flown downhill, the opposite direction being a dead end, so to speak
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message