Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A cautionary tale (LFHU L’Alpe d’Huez)

Thanks Michel, your English is fine and that’s more or less the info which I gathered from the AFPM mail list.

Incidentally, how tall are these “new” earth berms? From what I remember Huez is an easy altiport, a bit like a baby Courchevel, and I can’t see what difference earth banks beside the runway would make. Are they worse than the bank on the left (or the drop on the right) at Corlier, for instance?

Pity about the 1 landing rule; I haven’t landed at HU since 2013, when we could definitely do two or three tours de piste for training or practice.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

michelb wrote:

Things got a bit complicated when a guy, about 10 years ago, settled there with an aircraft for scenic flights and some instruction. No trouble with that. But he also intended to keep order on the field (his order). No idea of how he flies, but I can tell you he has actually been clumsy and rude on the apron. He also managed to limit the flight activity to 1 landing a day, except for him, of course, among other silly things. Most pilots hate him to day and the situation is rather tense.

All this seems rather odd. Does this guy own the airport ? If not, who does? Why do the authorities bother with who can and who cannot land on private airports? If it’s public, then how can this guy create arbitrary restrictions (even if he owned it) ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It wasn’t really my intention to discuss the merits of the new bunds at Huez, but here’s a photo so folk can judge for themselves:

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that the Mairie should be congratulated for using spoil from the new Club Med building foundations in a way which enhances the security of the runway by making it more difficult for skiers and pedestrians to cross without pausing to look left and right.

The story of @michelb sounds like one of the usual beginning-of-the-end-of-an-airfield tales. If the locals cannot get such ‘individual influences’ out, the ’port ’ll die. What is the hidden agenda of that guy, kill the airfield and grab the land to built hotels on it – not very uncommon in todays mad world?

The above photo looks rotated. My best go at getting it the right way up is this:

That berm is going to create some funny wind effects, for wind from the left, no? The same issue was at Kastelorizo LGKJ.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, this is a “restricted use” altiport, for pilots who are supposed to know how to deal with funny winds – not least because such mountain airports tend to be situated on or near furrocky terrain with associated furrocky wind.

Dealing with funny winds doesn’t involve superior stick & rudder skill – two of the most important features of the MOU rating are to be able to test the wind by flying a (very) low pass* and to decide, on the basis of information thus acquired, when not to attempt a landing.

*Of course, the low pass is flown downhill, the opposite direction being a dead end, so to speak

Ok, I’m ready for a new hard time with English. And Reverso.
I’ve just written on the AFPM (mountain pilot association) mailing list that we should stop chatting and ask the President to take a position on the issue and find a solution for all of us.

However, i’ll try to answer your questions , but it will be only MY opinion.
So, you call it a berm. Copied. The photo from the air does not show much, I’m trying to join one from the ground. The altiport is restricted to mountain rated or site rated pilots. But it is public, owned by the Alpe d’Huez municipality. The mayor has named the guy I was speaking of, as local manager on the field.
Even if it was not the case until recently, the ground managers are allowed to emit restrictions as they like. For example, in Grenoble le Versoud, controlled airfield, the ground staff often closes the grass runway with a Notam, but without even warning the TWR !
Let’s go back to Huez, and you can check on the VAC (right side in English) and you won’t be disappointed with the restrictions. I particularly like the departure instructions.

In my opinion, the guy does not want to close the airfield, but he wants to be alone up there. He has not understood yet that he’s shooting himself in the foot (again, my opinion).
And, yes Peter, you’re completely right with the wind effect.

I have already somewhat given up, as arguing on the apron before take-off is not something I can accept. I no longer fly there.
Sorry to be boring with that sad story, but Huez was THE Altiport, with the French “mountain flight Pope”, Henri GIRAUD, on the place.

Michel

LFLG - Grenoble le Versoud, France

Jacko wrote:

to test the wind by flying a (very) low pass

Low passes no longer allowed in Huez (see VAC).
Michel

@michelb: Sad to hear that! Even if it is only your personal opinion, such usually reflect important parts of public opinion. Having followed some comparable situations in the past, I doubt one can do anything (legal) against it. It may be we have just one way, declare R.I.P. on the airfield, go on and look for something else, as you already did. There is no way to cope with hubris and bullshit management in todays world anymore, the idiots won.

Last Edited by at 31 Dec 16:53

dejwu wrote:

he idiots won

I don’t hope so ; but they sometimes make our life uneasy.
Michel

Sign in to add your message