Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

46-year-old UK chart (and other old charts)

Hello,

while reordering my father’s old stuff I came across this aeronautical chart of the UK, dating 16.9.71.

HERE

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Awesome. It’s so simple!!!

EGKL, United Kingdom

Simple indeed. It doesn’t even show Stonehenge!

I have a map from 1985, published by the Dutch state agency; it shows Eastern England including Kent and Norfolk and up North till Humberside and slightly beyond; it is more complicated, with several EGD areas shown, but still far less complicated than today’s. It also shows SRZs for Southend and Manston, though not for Southend neither for Lydd.

Thanks for sharing!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

If anybody needs more detailed data than the chart alone can provide, I can supply it

I started flying in 1971 and the half mil was much more complex than that.

Apart from anything else, there were many, many more MATZ and ATZ than there are now

EGKB Biggin Hill

That appears to be an airways/TMA class A chart only. (or as it then was, Rule 21 airspace.)

The half mil chart would still have been recognised by modern day standards (albeit with different airspace nomenclature)
And alas as Timothy says, many more airfields present then which are no longer with us.

Egnm, United Kingdom
That appears to be an airways/TMA class A chart only.

After a closer look, I think it is not. The title neatly states “radio facilities chart”. As far as I can interpret that, it does not claim to be complete nor even accurate on aeronautical data such as airspace boundaries.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

1:1,000,000 from 1951. It’s very topographical, roads-rivers-railways-forests, from when navigation was almost purely looking out of the window at surface features. Towns are just shown as dots, but they were far smaller then. Population of France in 1951 was 42 million, compared to 68 million in 2021.

Airfield and hill elevations are in metres, not feet.

Airfields aren’t easy to find, and could benefit from more contrast. Auxerre and St Yan have a star next to them – maybe radio, or tarmac, or lit runway? No radio frequencies listed. Dijon has a double circle symbol, probably denoting it as military.

Airspace isn’t clear either: a circle around St Yan (bottom middle); a semi-octangle and two teardrops centring on Dijon (top right); there’s also a y-shaped corridor running bottom middle to top left.

Edit: I’ll scan a modern 1:1,000,000 for camparison.

Last Edited by Capitaine at 09 Feb 10:22
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The current French VFR map is available on Geoportail

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

2019 is the most recent I could find. The same section:

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message