Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain ratings, Altiports, Altisurfaces, and the Ratings

The formation de site is not restricted to a particular aircraft. It applies to any aircraft having “similar performance” – however that might be interpreted.

But is there actually anyone who doesn’t have a D140?

Last Edited by Jacko at 24 Apr 15:06
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

In France if they don’t have one, they want one.😁

France

So, if you want to use a different aircraft category than what they have in the club, you need to bring the aircraft with someone who has it before you can do the site training?

France

Yes.

Alternatively, you could fly your PC12 or DC3 or whatever to Annemasse, grab their MOU instructor by the wallet, fly up to Courchevel with him, do a few circuits, and fly away with the necessary endorsement in your logbook.

Incidentally, and despite the Apple spell-checker’s insistence to the contrary, the altiport is called Courchevel, not Courcheval.

Last Edited by Jacko at 25 Apr 16:35
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I kinda hijacked another thread, apologies… so here’s a re-post with a motivational video.

Friends Alex and Fabian have published this little vid a few days ago. They have the MOU rating and fly in there (taking foldable skis along) in their fantastic RV-14A 😎

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Nice video – us inhabitants of Großbrexitland no longer can add a MOU rating to our UK CAA licence, at least I think that’s right. Still would like to organise the training at Belluno/Bolzano, where I believe they also add the ski operations to altiport operations.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I was backseat but could make the camera filming for tha approach and landing at Valloire.
Video for recreation only (although this is a training flight). enjoy the proximity of the rocks on the outbound leg (~20m max).

LFMD, France

Wow, sitting on the backseat during mountain training is a whole new level of “laisser-faire”, to put it mildly ;-)

Germany

greg_mp thankyou.
If you get to do it again I would love to see more of the runway from above during the circuit..If it’s possible of course.🙂

France

With that experience of filming in the Rally, I have a better idea of viewing angles for the exercise of approach and the good wide angle of this cam with stabilization will help to make it better during the recognition.
Valloire is short (290m) in concrete and deep in the valley, you have a kind of grass displaced threshold where your aiming point is supposed to be, but in essence when you turn final, it’s a non return point and you are committed to land. It’s not really a problem for a rally . Takeoff is another thing…
About the trust, it was a real mind exercise for me at the beginning of the training. The thing is all about : I’m okay if we have to crash if there is no escape, but I want to do it by myself. But you have to trust your MI as he will be better than you to either avoid it or limits its consequences.
When you are younger, you easily trust anybody, but at 46, after you saw what kind of ass..le and bad pilots you see as instructor, trust is something you have to build. It tooks some flights to get full trust in my MI, and I have to say that the MI cursus is something you can trust.
It doesn’t mean I let anything out of consideration and I often question him until I have a real answer, I am probably an annoying student with all these questions.
The rationale is : if you don’t trust, don’t go.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 01 Jun 10:37
LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message