Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAR 61.75 piggyback license

I’ve decided the 61.75 is the route I’m going to go down. I’ve just booked in with Flight Safety at Farnborough for Tuesday 22 December to take the IFP test. I’ve just signed back up to Aviation Exam, who say they have the latest FAA database questions. My question is……………… is Aviation Exam sufficient for the QB ? Those who have taken the IFP Knowledge Test, which QB did you use? is there another to use maybe side by side.?

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 07 Dec 13:00
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I bought this book and worked through it, then used Aviationexam to check myself (actually I did a couple of questions on Avationexam before I had finished the book because I’m too impatient). The book is helpful because it gives a very brief refresher on each topic before listing the questions, and it gives you a few hints like how to figure out the compass questions. It is also a good preparation for the differences in the FAA world. Even though I have done the EASA theory exam only this March, it didn’t sufficiently prepare me for the IFP because there are so many differences.

The whole process took more time than I’d like to admit or what others write on the forums (e.g. studying one day then going to the exam IMHO is not seriously doable). It took me maybe 50 hrs of study time in total. I got around 90 % on my IFP which I passed last month. If you aim for 75 %, then you might feel comfortable with less preparation.

On Aviationexam, they have somehow mixed up helicopter and fixed wing questions. The bad thing is that this is visible nowhere when they present a question to you, and there are a few questions where the correct answer depends on whether you fly a helicopter or a fixed wing – both answers are proposed. When I contacted Aviationexam about this they said that there is no distinction between the two for the IFP. In the book, you have both types of questions, but it is visible from the question reference number if it is a helicopter question. In the real exam, I didn’t get a single helicopter question, so I don’t know what’s really the deal about this.

@Rwy20
Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m rather impatient too, considering I may having an ‘N’ plane turning up very soon. Is the QB bashing sufficient to pass the IFP test? I think I have read somewhere that the QB questions are actually the official ones from the FAA………is that true? did you find any questions in the test that wasn’t in the Aviation Exam QB?

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob2701 wrote:

did you find any questions in the test that wasn’t in the Aviation Exam QB?

I cannot really remember, since I used the ASA book as well. I wouldn’t have noticed if I had seen a question only in the book and not on Aviationexam.

By the way, the book is also question bank bashing, it mainly has questions, answers and always a short explanation of the correct answer. Aviationexam also has an “Explanation” section for each question, but most of the time they just copy & paste the relevant FAR and you have to read and figure it out for yourself. All in all, if you want to study efficiently in a short time, I would suggest using only the book. Another plus is that you get the original supplements with it that you will have available during the test, so you can get accustomed to them and already see what’s available in terms of legends and tables in the beginning (sometimes very helpful as you can just look up some answers directly).

But yes, both resources have the original FAA questions. I felt that ASA had a better selection and was more up to date.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 07 Dec 15:03

Did the full (IRA) version of the exam earlier this year (decided not to go the 61.75 route).

The ASA prep book should be sufficient on its own, but Dauntless software does the job if you want a second source. These will more than cover everything, but you should expect questions in the real exam that differ from the ASA/Dauntless ones, so some proper understanding is required as opposed to just memorising all those in the ASA/Dauntless/whatever question bank.

Agree that you should be familiar in advance with the official supplements.

Martin wrote:

@Peter I think that was one-off deal to deal with switching to EASA licences, but I’m not sure. And it was probably at least partly done out of self preservation, so to speak, because it would swamp them at the FAA

Here

LFPT, LFPN

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I did not want to start a new one due to the generic title of this one.

I have just completed the verification step to get my piggyback FAA license and plan to get my certificate in March when I’m going to LA for a conference. I’ll arrive on a Friday (late) afternoon and obviously won’t be able to schedule an appointment with the FSDO before Monday. Is there any chance of doing my flight review with a CFI before receiving the temporary airman certificate? If not, is my only option to get my certificate over the weekend is to find a DPE associated with the Los Angeles FSDO?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for good place/company to rent aircraft around LA? Reasonable access to the airport by public transport from downtown LA / LAX would be important.

Btw, from submitting the copy of my EASA PPL to receiving the verification letter (both via fax) the process took 12 days altogether, including some mess up on the side of my home CAA, which was, however, promptly corrected. It seems that the process is much faster than the stated 45-90 days.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

KHHR Hawthorne is easy to get to by public transport. It’s a short walk from the Green line metro station, which is also a good choice for getting to the FSDO as that is close to the LAX drop off point. There’s a bus shuttle from the airport to the metro station.

Beach Cities are probably the best bet for renting at KHHR. They are only 1/4 mile from the edge of Class B airspace, but the 110 Freeway is a good visual marker to keep out of trouble. The normal practice area is along the coast between Palos Verdes and Long Beach.

Santa Monica now has a Metro extension, but I don’t know the logistics for getting to the airport.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Mark_1 wrote:

Santa Monica now has a Metro extension, but I don’t know the logistics for getting to the airport.

Nope, this one isn’t open yet and in any case will be miles away from KSMO. Drive or get an Uber.

Why not get the certificate in Europe before you go? You can do a BFR here as well.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message