Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA deadline postponed: for "screw N reg" too?

Just had confirmation via the LAA that the changes due to be in force from Spring next year have been pushed out to at least 2018 (including the absurd FTO regulations) – http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2014/News/easa_deadline.html

It’s kind of academic for me at the moment, given I don’t have access to an N-reg IFR capable aircraft, but does this also apply to the “anti-N-reg” dual papers rule?

Andreas IOM

The postponement to April 2016 came out a few weeks ago but 2018 is certainly a new one!

It almost makes it not worth me revalidating my EASA IR which I got in January 2012 and which costs me 150 quid every year. The drawback is that I might get shafted in 2018 by having to go back to the FTO system to revalidate it (even 1 day over 12 months forces a revalidation via an FTO) and after 7 years you have to re-do all the exams and all the flight training.

So, FUD rules as ever and I will keep paying the money

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So my old CAA (lifetime) licence (that I paid to have converted to EASA) is still valid until 2016. So do I go down the route of getting my 61.75 validated by the CAA against my new EASA one or keep the old CAA one and my current FAA ticket??
That said, this is an absolute b*ggers muddle and I doubt anyone would ever bring a charge against a pilot for a technical violation, IMHO.

I doubt anyone would ever bring a charge against a pilot for a technical violation, IMHO

I am sure, yes … a large % of UK PPLs (reportedly of the order of tens of percent) forgot the 5-year JAA PPL revalidation+cheque business too No known action. I forgot to do mine too, though by the time it lapsed I had the FAA papers and was N-reg…

The problem is insurance. I have been told (by a loss adjuster for UK#s #1 insurer, years ago) that invalid pilot or aircraft paperwork (CofA, medical, etc) means flight was illegal to start with i.e. NO payout. But there are reports to the contrary i.e. they do (or some do!) sometimes pay out where e.g. somebody’s medical had just lapsed. Allegedly (and most of the allegations come from people working in the insurance business ) the payout in such cases is related to whether you went for the cheapest premium…

Administrator

The drawback is that I might get shafted in 2018 by having to go back to the FTO system to revalidate it

Not any more, so long as you hold a valid ICAO IR, all you have to do is take the IR Profficiency Check. IN2014/170 10th Oct 2014

That’s another unbelievable find, Tumbleweed!

Recent too – 10th October…

So, can I just make sure I have this right: all the time I continue flying on my FAA IR, maintained current using the FAA IR rolling currency principle, I can let the EASA IR lapse (for up to 7 years) and I can revalidate it anytime with a flight with a freelance examiner?

This means I can skip four revalidations: Dec 2014, Dec 2015, Dec 2016, Dec 2017 and save myself 600 quid, plus much more in the cost of the actual flights.

Is there any downside? For example the UK CAA does not recognise the FAA IR rolling currency, when using it to get an IMCR (IR(R)).

Administrator

So far, I have read zero references to any postponement (beyond April 2015) of the dual pilot license requirement for ICAO license holders… could somebody enlighten me?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Oct 19:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So, to clarify…Can I continue to use my FAA IR beyond April 2015? And if I decide to swap to EASA all I have to do is a revalidation IR flight, which presumably can be done in Florida?

Also can a buddy of mine who holds only FAA papers continue to fly our N reg beyond 2015?

TIA

EGHS

Only once and if all EASA member states you intend to fly in apply this extended derogation.

So is it certain that the UK has applied this extended derogation ?

TIA

EGHS
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message