Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changes to TSA flight training security assessments

The TSA is changing from the event-based security threat assessments to time-based ones. The STA time period will be five years during which the TSA will perform continuous criminal vetting, monitoring of intelligence watch lists, and checking for compliance with immigration requirements to ensure ongoing eligiblity for flight training. The meaning of a flight training provider (see 49 CFR 1552.3 in the FR below) has been broadened to include foreign instructors providing training in the US as well as lessors of aircraft and simulators used for flight training. Flight training providers must also appoint a Security Coordinator to serve as “the primary contact for intelligence information and security-related activities and communications with TSA” and who will be available 24/7 (see 49 CFR 1552.9 in the FR below).

From the regulatory impact analysis in docket no. TSA-2004-19147-0434:

And one of the TSA responses in the preamble to the final rule published today, 89 FR 35580:

London, United Kingdom

I wonder what this actually means in practice, given that the US accepts all non-US training, done by non-US instructors, evidenced by normal local logbook entries.

That means that you can get all the “logbook entries” required for any US license or rating without going anywhere near an FAA licensed instructor.

That is basically what I did for my FAA IR and CPL, in the 2006-08 time frame.

The need for an FAA instructor arises from anal interpretations by a “well known” UK based DPE, who has recently been blocked from doing checkrides (and writtens some years before that) anyway, and by holding the checkride monopoly, and by “unknown powers in the NY IFO” blocking US DPEs travelling to Europe, was able to run a weird website covered in large red capital letters, and basically call the tune on what logbook entries he would accept. When I did my FAA PPL there in 2004 none of this mattered (my Shoreham training was immediately accepted); the restrictive practices came later but nothing in the FARs changed.

I would be amazed if there were still any FAA instructors out there working openly – except for BFRs and IPCs. They have needed TSA approval for years. And the candidate too. Only the US visa is avoided. I would expect virtually nobody to be doing “FAA training” in Europe. What would be the point given that the written+checkride are done in the US? Maybe @Naaalex knows the current situation.

You need 5hrs before a checkride to be done with a US instructor but since the checkride is now in the US, and since no US CFI/CFII will sign you off as ready for the checkride if they have not flown with you, this is moot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter !

Well, Orbifly is still providing quite a lot of FAA training, with TSA prior approvals.
These improvements are really great and will reduce the burden consequently ! That’s cool.

So no, FAA training is not dead, we may not teach FAA stuff as intensively as we used to but the demand is consistant.
It’s a small market but as we’ve been quite known in that field, we are still getting some requests. It requires to have a good knowledge of all regulations though.

However, when you say that a full FAA training can be performed without flying with an FAA instructor, this is false.
All trainings to be performed with a “certificated instructor” mean “FAA instructor”, this has been clarified long ago by the Legal Council.

So as that means a minimum of 3 hours with your endorsing FAA instructor, I see no way to skip this as this has to go through IACRA, which means the instructor needs an instructor IACRA access (not possible if he is EASA only).
For IFR, you cannot go below 15 hours.
If you did less, don’t claim it too loudly ! 🤣

Kind regards to all, airmen&women !

Alexandra

Dog is my copilot
LFMV, France

as that means a minimum of 3 hours with your endorsing FAA instructor

That’s right (not 5 as I posted) but non-US training is accepted past that.

For IFR, you cannot go below 15 hours.
If you did less, don’t claim it too loudly !

Don’t worry – I did about 25hrs out there

All trainings to be performed with a “certificated instructor” mean “FAA instructor”, this has been clarified long ago by the Legal Council.

@Naaalex is there a reference to the FAA Chief Counsel ruling?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s a welcome change for non-US citizens training in the US. It was a pain to go through the TSA every time you wanted to change or add an instructor eg. if training part 61 with independent CFIs. It’s also useful to get it done once for IR then skip it for Multi…

KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message